First Questions

General Discussion
Joel

Post by Joel » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:57 am

Well, Kazu.....it's funny

Like I'd told you in an earlier email, I also was working on a personal story that had a similar theme of artist's creativity, focus, ect.

Maybe we could do another anthology down the road with a different theme.....one that could possibly house these "creation" stories?

Not to distract from the current project.....we haven't even started this one yet...but a cool possibility, maybe...

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:27 pm

Sounds like a great idea, Joel. Or maybe we can do a second volume of Flight with a different theme. I always intended for this thing to keep on rolling with or without us, and the theme-per-issue idea sounds like a great way to do just that. Also, just to let you guys know, if (and that's a big IF) we are able to turn a profit on this thing, I would like to volunteer my share of the funds to be put into the budget of the next anthology. Like I said before, I just want to see this book go. Of course, anybody who puts money into the book will get it back IF we can get it back. In any case, I'm about ready to kiss a load of money goodbye. :)

Joel

Post by Joel » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:18 pm

Honestly, I'm with you, Kazu.....

If you need contributions, I'd much rather the money roll right back into additional anthology projects or whatever....

I'm also thinking that with a little bit of planning and a lot of word-of-mouth advertising, we could get Diamond to pick it up on an additional printing....
We could get it into some comic stores, as well as having whatever presales finance the printing costs....or at least lower our out-of-pocket costs.
Diamond rarely distributes new ongoing comics from "unknown"s, but they seem to dig independant anthologies....
I definitely feel we would meet their "professional" criteria.

Of course, we would stand to make more money selling the book through a site of our own, without Diamond taking 60% of the take, but the would get the book into hands we might not be able to reach.

Later on, after APE, we'll have to see about seeing what cons we all can hit....a successful APE and a table at the Comicon International would move a ton of books, I'd hope!

Joel

Post by Joel » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:31 pm

If nothing else, maybe the sales early in the year (at APE and whatever) will be high enough to cover the printing costs and have some capital left over to finance a table for the next con?

For those of you in the Bay Area, there's an incredible publishing resource advice in the form of a man named Larry Young of AiT/PlanetLar

His book TRUE FACTS is a must-have for any up-and-coming publisher. Packed full of great information, from writing a press release, to finding a printer to complete your project, there's very little the book doesn't cover.....

I should receive kickbacks from Uncle Larry for as much advertising I do for him!

Joel

Post by Joel » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:55 pm

Oh, yeah.....this is a way early question, but what were you kids thinking about, binding wise?

Saddle stitch or squarebound?

neil

square bound!

Post by neil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:28 pm

Saddle stitch or squarebound?
If it's going to be more than 64 pages (and it looks like it will be), it should be squarebound, going by the standard.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:51 pm

Man, I sure hope saddle stitch WON'T be an option. :)

Joel

Post by Joel » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:35 pm

I'd love a nice squarebound book to put up on the shelf....

I've seen 80+page books with saddle stitching, and it's not too bad, but those books really don't last too long after a couple of reads....