First Questions

General Discussion
Kazu
Site Admin

First Questions

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:43 am

After you guys introduce yourselves in the welcome thread, please feel free to start badgering me with questions. From here, we can get a good understanding of how we should go about organizing this thing. Also, I will give everyone moderator status so they can post in the Projects forum, where I figured we could talk about the stories we'll be working on, and everyone can pitch in to help in the development of everyone's respective projects. Jen, tell me if I'm doing this wrong, ok?

Oh, and do you guys know if it's comic or comics anthology?
Last edited by Kazu on Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joel

Post by Joel » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:35 am

I guess my first question would be how long everyone's stories would be?

Since there's quite a few of us, it could make printing pretty pricey if we're all doing twelve pagers.....

Even with six pages each, we're looking at sixty plus pages, which would make a great presentation.....a nice big squarebound anthology.
Which would be great, but I also wouldn't want to break the bank...

Please, Kazu, let us know if we need to pitch in, fund-wise....

Also wondering what everyone was thinking in terms of story, so we have a nice variety of stories and locales to show off....

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:06 pm

I don't want to put a page count restriction on anybody's stories. If your story requires only two pages, that's cool, but if it needs 30, then by all means go for it. I know I tend to overwrite a little, so I figure I will be in the neighborhood of 20 to 30 pages.

Don't worry too much about the money for now. I have faith we will find the money when we need it. I just want everyone to be more focused on telling great, resonant stories. Once we get the Projects section rolling, I will be there to help anybody else who feels they need it, and I'm sure the others will be more than happy to pitch in to make each person's story work better.

On that note, let's discuss the stories themselves in the Projects section so we can keep that stuff private. It's like a little clubhouse, eh? :)

Kazu
Site Admin

Flight Theme?

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:43 pm

So here's a question for you guys: Do you think we should make "Flight" a theme as well as the title of the anthology? I originally meant to keep the stories open-ended, but since a few of us, as Jen pointed out, draw things aeronautically-inclined(?), perhaps making it a theme would be fun. What do you think?

Kean
Site Admin

Re: Flight Theme?

Post by Kean » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:56 pm

kazu wrote:Do you think we should make "Flight" a theme as well as the title of the anthology?
I'm all for it. Lord knows I'm not original enough to come up with anything interesting on my own...

Mudron

Post by Mudron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:16 pm

Oh hell, i am so down with using "flight" as a them for the book that if we don't use it, i'll spend half of APE cursing and swearing like a lunatic at anybody who voted against it.

(Well, okay, maybe i won't be THAT horrible of a person if "flight" isn't the theme of the book, but it could make for some interesting comics...especially if we get a few strips where nobody "flies" at all, per se...)

chris

ooh

Post by chris » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:33 pm

this is perfect cuz i was thinking of doing a comic about a young pilot who discovers a top-secret rocket pack that allows man to fly. he uses it to foil the plans of a group of evil Nazi spies and win the heart a beautiful local girl. i was thinking of calling it "The Rocketeen".

seriously tho i like the idea of a flight theme.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:52 pm

Welp, sounds like people want to do the theme. So be it. We'll keep it open-ended, but leaning heavily toward flying things. Cool? And hey, who says you can't just use other definitions of flight besides the obvious links to aviation? I originally felt it just signified a flight into fantasy, like the daydreaming state you get into during history class or your parents' lectures or your girlfriend's venting (kidding on the last one! Well, no, actually I'm not). :)

Mudron

Post by Mudron » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:03 am

Well yeah, technically "flight" could also be interpereted as "the act of hauling ass from a particularly dangerous situation", but i figure we could gravitate more towards the "flights of fancy" usage of the word.

Clio

Post by Clio » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:15 am

And here I was thinking about making a comic about a carpetbag. But it starts at an airport! When things are all thumbed out and such, we can chuck it in the project forum, right?
- Clio

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:43 am

Right, Clio. I'm just not sure I'm going about this the right way. Am I supposed to just give everyone moderator status for that forum, or should I be setting up passwords?

Clio

Post by Clio » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:25 am

Hi Kazu,

What might be easier is to set up a usergroup called "contributors" or something. You can do that by going into the admin panel and using group admin>management, then click the 'Usergroups' text on the forum index to add people to that.

Afterwards, go to group admin>permissions to let the entire group be moderators of that forum. They should then be able to post in it without having a huge list of people show up under your forum header. Let me know if that works; I haven't really tinkered with phpBB much.
- Clio

elilie

Post by elilie » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:41 am

yeah flight is all good, it's a little reminiscient of Meyer's class project, but it'll give me something to write about since I'm blank on ideas.
"But let me leave you with one last thought. If you can laugh at yourself, loud and hard, every time you fall, people will think you’re drunk. Thank you." conan o'brien

neil

Post by neil » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:02 pm

Welp, sounds like people want to do the theme. So be it. We'll keep it open-ended, but leaning heavily toward flying things. Cool? And hey, who says you can't just use other definitions of flight besides the obvious links to aviation?
That sounds fine to me! I was just reading Project: Telstar, an anthology of stories with the theme "robots and space"; it's really cool to see how that's interpreted differently by all the contributors.

elilie

Post by elilie » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:13 pm

by the way if anyone knows of anygood websites with some good motion graphics, please list some. Trying to learn something here.
"But let me leave you with one last thought. If you can laugh at yourself, loud and hard, every time you fall, people will think you’re drunk. Thank you." conan o'brien