anime greats

General Discussion
dan

anime greats

Post by dan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:17 pm

Do you guys know anymore really great animes?

I'm partial to Robot Carnival and Robotech: The Macross Saga. :)

Dan

Joel

Post by Joel » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:29 pm

Well, there's always FLCL.....pretty much one of the cooler animes to come down the pike out of the last 5 years or so...

The new Ghost In The Shell: Stand AI One Complex series has been pretty interesting, with lots of great police action the original manga had, and the movie totally missed....

RaXephon has been great....started out as one of the many Eva clones that popped up in the late 90s, and has a great old school/new school robot show flavor.....

Supersylph Yukikaze has some really cool jet fighter designs, and a neat story, to boot.

If you dig the Macross vibe, then you'll have to check out the new Macross Zero series....only two episodes of the OVA are circulating around my area right now....if you're on the west coast, more are out by now for sure.

There's always the staple of coolness, Cowboy Bebop, and if you're ever considering wading into the 20+ years of soap opera drama that is Gundam, you can check out Gundam: 08th MS Team. It takes the horribly boring history class that was the One Year War, and made it really cool to like robots again....
If you're up for out an out robot fun, G Gundam and Giant Robo are both must-see shows. Anyone can enjoy them, and if you know anything about old school anime, you'll love all the cameos snuck into both series.

I'm checking out Witch Hunter Robin currently, but keep falling asleep.....I really like it, but find I really don't have the time to properly enjoy them.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:02 am

The animes you've mentioned are some of the greatest and have not escaped my eye. I think FLCL is probly my favorite anime to date. However, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D bloodlust, and many others are still loved. :)

I'm going to watch Voices of a Distant Star. Check that one out too, very pretty.

Dan

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:34 pm

There are alot of great animes out there..

the ones listed above are just a few of em, many more like Cowboy Bebop, as well as Last Exile more recently, are two great animes...

It also depends on what you like as well. You seem to be partial towards Mecha-based anime series, so series like evangelion, Rahxephon, Escaflowne, Full Metal Panic! just to name a few are great series with this theme in em.

I recommend Full Metal Panic! if you haven't seen it as yet. Or, if you've been under a rock, i recommend you watch evangelion first. :)

dan

HAHA under a rock

Post by dan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:03 pm

I've seen all of Evangelion and it's still one of my favorites. Thanks for the recommendations, this is what i've liked thus far.

FLCL
Voices of a Distant Star
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Robot Carnival
Spirited Away
Princess Monoke
Ninja Scroll
Vamp. D: Bloodlust
Akira
Curse of the Undead: Yoma

Full Metal Panic eh? I'll give that a look see. Thx.

Dan

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:50 pm

I always dug on The Wings Of Honnemaise (Not sure thats the right spelling).

Blood: The Last Vampire is fun...a little short...but fun.

Perfect Blue is great!

Then of course all of Miyazaki, Porco Rosso, Kiki's delivery service and the Cagliostro series.

good stuff.

d.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:40 pm

douglas a. bot wrote:I always dug on The Wings Of Honnemaise (Not sure thats the right spelling).

Blood: The Last Vampire is fun...a little short...but fun.

Perfect Blue is great!

Then of course all of Miyazaki, Porco Rosso, Kiki's delivery service and the Cagliostro series.

good stuff.

d.

.. Acutally, all the one's you seem to like are either short or just a movie. :)

But you are right, WOH is a greaaattt movie. I liked it alot.

I shouldn't have to mention anything done by Miyazaki, or Studio Ghibli. That's a given. :)

I especially liked their "On Your Mark" Video that they did for Chage And Aska (i forgot the name, don't know if it's right). It was only 6 minutes or so long, but it had wonderful animation, and the song was pretty good as well. :)

There are just So many good anime series out there, and there are so many bad anime series out there. *cough* Hamtaro *cough*

dan

Post by dan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:47 pm

oh jeez, you want to hear some bad anime? BLUE GENDER! Good lord that series was about as entertaining as a root canal. Actually now that i think about it, the first half of Trigun and everything after the first two episodes/last two episodes for Outlaw star was pretty crap too.

I just finished watching Samurai X and I think i'm going to pop in the Transformer's Movie. Ahhhhhh...sweet nostalgia.

Dan

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:40 pm

Oh, are people talking about movies here as well? In that case, I should probably mention Grave of the Fireflies as one of my favourites. I'll defer the rest of the recommendations to the obvious experts on this board.

...Is the third OVA of Macross Zero out? It must be mine. Oh yes.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:45 pm

douglas a. bot wrote:Perfect Blue is great!
Has anyone seen that new one by the makers of "Perfect Blue," I think it's called "Millenium Girl"? I was totally fascinated by the review, but it left the theater around here before I could catch it.

Of course the Studio Ghibli stuff stands apart.. I enjoyed "On Your Mark!" too. And I defy anyone to not cry at "Grave of the Fireflies."

FLCL looked pretty cool on Cartoon Network (I rememer the way they drew a water gun was just great), but I couldn't really understand what was going on.

I wish I had more knowledge of anime...

davi
Flight Moderator

Post by davi » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:10 am

yeah flcl is so chaotic that it's almost like you aren't suppose to know what is going on.

and 30% of the film is basicly satire and mocking other animes hehe

dan

Post by dan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:34 am

I'm pretty sure that FLCL is my favorite to date. i just love the fact that even though all this crazy stuff is happening, the story is really about a boy that is just growing up. (and mocking other animes.)

Perfect blue was like alfred hitchcock and walt disney doing a movie together.

Dan

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:22 am

oh, if any of you are feeling depressed in any way, try to avoid "Now and Then, Here and There"...... trust me.

If you thought Grave of the Fireflies was as depressing as it gets, think again...............

dan

Post by dan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:47 am

crap. I saw that in the vid. store the other day and thought it looked pretty good.

Anyone seen Serial Experiments: Lain or Boogie Pop Phantom?

Dan

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:37 pm

Nucleardan wrote:crap. I saw that in the vid. store the other day and thought it looked pretty good.

Anyone seen Serial Experiments: Lain or Boogie Pop Phantom?

Dan

I've seen Lain.

I payed over 120 dollars just to get the whole series.

I couldn't understand what the hell was going on in the whole thing.

I cryed.

I then went from my comfy house in Toronto, to a not so comfy apartment in India.

I've been here ever since.

...Help!