The Best Autographed Edition of Flight EVER

General Discussion
Patachu

The Best Autographed Edition of Flight EVER

Post by Patachu » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:43 pm

So, I stopped at the Flight booth at Comic-con the morning the book came out. I gushed over the book for a bit, paid for the volume, and asked the guys to sign it. If I remember the order correctly: Chris signed just his name on the title page, but then Rad did a little sketch of Timber, so Kazu insisted on following up with Fred the dog, and after that things went nuts.

Every so often I'd return to the booth to collect more signatures as each of the various authors showed up, and I think by the time I got to 10, people had decided that I was either really dedicated or really creepy.

But I'm proud of what I did, because the book is gorgeous, I know I'll be reading it over and over again, and I am the only person in the world whose title page of Flight Vol. 1 looks like this.

and in case you're wondering what kind of sick, demented fanboy is crazy enough to ask for all these autographs, here's me:

A big, huge, THANK YOU to everyone who worked on Flight, and especially to everyone who signed my book. You're all amazing.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:50 pm

...so...*wipes away drool*...COOL!

NthMike

Post by NthMike » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:32 pm

I'm jealous. Is it August 11th yet?

(:wink:)
The unofficial Broken Frontier representative to the Flight forums.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:50 pm

Awesome!

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:35 pm

Give me a day or two and I'll post a pic of the inside cover of my copy of Flight. After carefully looking at all the sketches in there, I realize that I'm only missing 3 people. Hopefully I'll be able to catch Bill Mudron tomorrow, if he's still around. I also got Scott McCloud to sign the last page of his introduction! :D

Woody

Post by Woody » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:36 pm

Oops, forgot to log in. That last post was me. :?

Patachu

Post by Patachu » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:04 am

Anonymous wrote:After carefully looking at all the sketches in there, I realize that I'm only missing 3 people. Hopefully I'll be able to catch Bill Mudron tomorrow, if he's still around. I also got Scott McCloud to sign the last page of his introduction! :D
Best of luck! I've been incredibly fortunate in catching all the artists -- Derek Kirk Kim, for example, has been ping-ponging between the Flight booth and Top Shelf, and he didn't even get there until Friday afternoon when previously I had assumed he'd be absent:

Me: Derek! How's it going?
DKK: Pretty good, what's up?
Me: [incredulous] When did you get here?
DKK: About ... [looks at watch] 5 hours ago.
Me: But I thought you were teaching that illustration class in San Francisco?
DKK: I got a sub.

And I caught Bill when he was just hanging out next to the booth, talking to a couple of other guys. We had this great conversation about Scott McCloud's next big comicbook theory, and the origin stories of Pants Press and Flight. Good stuff.

ThaJinx

Post by ThaJinx » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:49 pm

The artists were all really willing to sign everything; I got all but four of them to sign off on the title page, and I even got Scott McCloud to sign off on his introduction. Very cool, yo.

Justin

Post by Justin » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:30 pm

yeah!! i walked by scotts booth and looked at the back of my copy of flight to see if he had anything to do with it and when i didn't see his name i just kept walkin, then after i left i noticed the outro was written by him! aughh, man that sucked!! i only got about 13 signatures and for the most part i was too starstruck to give myself any kind of introduction :oops: . i was really sad that i didn't get vera's signature. her contribution to flight was one of my favorites :cry:

as a side note, i almost didn't buy it cause i'm about $200 in debt to my mom but i made the fatal mistake of picking it up and looking through it and well.. congratulations on convincing me to put myself further in debt! friggin sweet.
Last edited by Justin on Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Justin

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:43 pm

Thanks again for buying the book. We'll be doing book signings so if you guys want to get some LA peoples signitures you can.

Woody

Post by Woody » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:47 pm

Here's mine:

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:06 pm

Haha, I love how these autographs turned into little jam sessions. The one where we're all reacting to Enrico's signature was one of my favorites. 8)

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:25 pm

Neil wrote:Haha, I love how these autographs turned into little jam sessions. The one where we're all reacting to Enrico's signature was one of my favorites. 8)
Yah, it definitely was fun seeing other people's books because each one became some work of art. I'll be scanning mine in and posting it soon...

ThaJinx

Post by ThaJinx » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:26 pm

Neil wrote:Haha, I love how these autographs turned into little jam sessions. The one where we're all reacting to Enrico's signature was one of my favorites. 8)
I loved how I wouldn't let you eat your Carl's Jr. in peace on Saturday :D
O sodales, ludite, vos qui scitis dicite michi mesto parcite, grand ey dolur, attamen consulite per voster honur.

Patachu

Post by Patachu » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:13 am

Wow ... I think your one beats mine, KA. :D Those sketches are beyond spiffy.

And ... I feel like an ass now for thinking I got everyone, when in fact I missed Khang.