College Choices

General Discussion
Steven

College Choices

Post by Steven » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a junior in high school, and I've just started looking into colleges. I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations on schools I should look into.

Some info about me and my plans for the future:
If I don't do something creative with my life, I think I will explode. I am in love with art, in all it's forms. I love drawing, watercolor and digital art, but I also love music. I play piano and drums, and I enjoy writing songs. I even write on occasion. Now, I know that there are not many jobs for artist-musician-photojournalists out there. I was just listing some of my passions. :D

Some career options I am dreaming about:
I would love to get into filmmaking.
I know there's a million and a half kids that share this dream, but I think the best job on earth might be a film director. Being a concept artist, prop designer, or even an editor would be fantastic, too.

I'm not sure how many of you have experience getting into the filmmaking industry, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm only looking at colleges now. If anyone has any advice on where to look, or if you have any other career fields you think I would be interested in, any help would be great.

Thanks!

Steven C.

Mr. Average

Re: College Choices

Post by Mr. Average » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 am

University of the Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Check it out - Philadelphia has a really interesting arts scene and is a little less hostile than New York.

--M
Image Image

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:41 am

I went to school for film at UC Santa Barbara. It ended up being a great education for a comic artist, as the school helped teach me to better analyze and dissect stories, and I spent half my time drawing cartoons and comics for the newspaper. The campus is beautiful and the vibe is very relaxed. I tended to be a very serious and focused student, so I was able to take advantage of the fact that most of my peers were out partying, and ended up getting a lot of time with the teachers. Might want to look into this option. As for art schools, I recommend beginning with taking classes at smaller, more specialized schools like Concept Design Academy, Gnomon, workshops at Nucleus, CSUF, a Marshall Vandruff workshop, or even take some community college courses to see where other students are looking to get their degrees. It'll help you make a more informed decision before you commit to a full-blown art school. Art schools are very expensive investments to make.

Steven

Post by Steven » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Steven C.