Mustek Scanner

General Discussion
squirpy

Mustek Scanner

Post by squirpy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Mustek scanners like this one? It seems to get pretty good reviews, and it'd be really nice to have a larger format scanner - piecing stuff together is getting annoying.
I keep a sketchblog here

neil

Re: Mustek Scanner

Post by neil » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey that looks like a great deal--but I'm concerned about whether it can be used easily on a mac. The Amazon reviewers seem to have a split opinion. I'm wondering if the gripers just don't know how to install a driver or if something is legitimately wrong with the product. Otherwise, the price seems almost too good to be true; these large format scanners usually cost thousands, don't they? What is the compromise?

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Yeah, I don't know! It makes me so wary that it costs so little, but it seems like a lot of mac people just weren't understanding how to install the drivers correctly. I might have to just go for it and see.
I keep a sketchblog here

rohwer

Post by rohwer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:05 pm

I used one alot like it (same brand and size, but older model) at school on IMacs, and I never had problems with it. High quality stuff too.

Blom

Post by Blom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:10 pm

If you get a bigger scanner I guess that the work you make also will be bigger and your back to piecing stuff together.
I have read a Adobe-PDF about Photoshop CS 4 for Mac where they say that it is no need to try to connect old scanners to Photoshop on new Macs because there is some difference in the processors and linux core that makes the problem. So find out when the scanner is produced to see that it is a product that is made for the computer you got, I guess that help in getting something that work. The Mustek scanner can be used on Mac intel based computers it says, and I know that the processor change is some of the problem why some don`t work.. you have to have a scanner software that is produced after they changed to intel..

Also, I have just the other day made a post about how I fixed my scanner to easier make bigger scan using my A4 Cannon scanner to scan big images. http://jinglepaper.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... rand-scan/
I am going to continue to use this one, because my work is bigger than A3 so I still have to piecing it together.
Tor Harald Blom

geoff_sebesta

Post by geoff_sebesta » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:49 am

I've had one since 2005, it just broke last week. So four years of fairly heavy use and a lot of changes of address. Definitely worth the money.