Desert Island Challenge: What 3 Illustration Books to Bring?

General Discussion
JGrubber

Desert Island Challenge: What 3 Illustration Books to Bring?

Post by JGrubber » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:46 pm

I am looking to get some new books to inspire me, and have no idea where to begin- there are just so many, but not very many locally.

So, I thought we could all have some fun with this, by getting peoples best choices from their own collections:

Rules:

1) You get to pick 3 illustration books (Artbooks, illustrators sketchbooks, instructional guides etc.) and maybe why you like them.

2) You can't say a blank sketchbook- we can assume we all have at least one of those.

Post away!

john

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:45 pm

My picks would be

"The Art of Kung Fu Panda" - I just got this a month or so ago and I love it. It has everything an artist needs for inspiration - excellent environment design, excellent use of staging and colour and the character sketches are brilliant. Nico Marlet's stuff is so well constructed it makes me wanna draw till my fingers fall off.

"Action Cartooning" by Ben Caldwell is an excellent reference for getting solid construction and movement in your drawings.

and I don't have it yet (as the shipping is too much and the Aussie dollar is terrible atm) but Ben Balistreri's looks awesome. If I could be like any artist in the world it'd be Ben Balistreri. [url=http://benbalistreri.blogspot.com/]Check him out Everything about his work is top notch -design, construction, colour, inking. Study and copy his stuff!
ImageImage

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:43 am

The Art of The Lord of the Rings

Making Comics

Artists On Comics

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

Mariachi Samurai by Jose Lopez

The Art of Star Wars (either Episode 1, 2, or 3)

And I SECOND Making Comics, by Scott McCloud!