Can someone Recommend a Digital Art program?

General Discussion
J-Minter

Can someone Recommend a Digital Art program?

Post by J-Minter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:34 pm

This year, one of my relatives saw fit to give me a lovely Wacom drawing tablet. I've always had an interest in digital art, but never in creating it. However, I'd like to get on the horse and give it a go. Right now, all that I own on my computer is MS Paint and an illegal (shh, don't tell anyone) copy of Macromedia Fireworks that I was sent by error. I'm still getting used to the tablet, but I would like to know what specific programs people would recommend. I don't know ANYTHING about digital art. anything at all. I use a Dell Windows XP and as far as the price, well, the sky's the limit (gig just paid off).

~Minterr

"Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

--House

Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:10 am

Alchemy rocks. But it might not be exactly what you were looking for. Great fun though.

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Photoshop is pretty much the standard nowadays for digital art, and definitely the best place to start if you're just getting into working digitally.

If you're looking for something a little less expensive, ArtRage is a really great program, and only 20 bucks for a full version!

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Also your Wacom comes with Painter Essentials which is pretty great program as well for an intro to the digital realm. May want to give that a whirl.