David B. and Igort at the Beguiling in Toronto

General Discussion
dark77778

David B. and Igort at the Beguiling in Toronto

Post by dark77778 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 pm

:) Well, I'm excited. I just finished reading David B.'s Epileptic [aka l'Ascension du Haut Mal], and while I must say that I don't totally understand it 100% because it's such a complex psychological work, I really admire the art style and storytelling skill of David B. Seriously, anything that can make my head spin like a top and hurt like I've played too many video games simply by reading it deserves massive kudos. The story is amazingly dark, but it's like a brutal and "true story" version of fantastical realism. I think it's going to be great just to hear the man speak and meet the person that I tried so hard to understand while reading the novel.

Anyways, I encourage anybody in the GTA area to come out and see these two guys because I'm expecting it to be a blast. Plus it's free and on a Saturday Night [the 15th at 7pm], and given the weather this week it'll probably snow too so I can't think of a better day to grab some tea and listen to a graphic novel lecture.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:17 am

I did not know about this work before. Thanks for the tip! It looks and sounds very promising.
I found this:
http://www.randomhouse.com/pantheon/gra ... eptic.html
if there are more people like me out there.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:49 am

So I went there yesterday, there wasn't a sound system and both men spoke so little and so quietly that I had to strain my ears from the third row. Still, it was nice to get a bit more background information, but it was really hard to communicate with them to the point where David B. couldn't spell my name right while signing my book...still, I at least have a more personalized edition when he corrected it. All and all, I found it to be a nice thing to go see on a Saturday night and I met one guy who had like, a whole pile of books from The Association [I can't spell L'Associon], and even some incredibly rare ones that just made me stare like this: (:shock:), but then I felt like one of the people with the big eyes in Epileptic so I left feeling embarrassed.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.