Writing Help

General Discussion
twenty3x

Writing Help

Post by twenty3x » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:11 am

I was not really sure where to post this so I figured General Discussion would be adequate. My question is in regards to how to write for a graphic novel. I have spent some time writing short stories, editorials etc., but I am curious how do I format my writing for a graphic novel or even a children's book?

I purchased Scott McCloud's Making Comics (he is brilliant by the way) and Alan Moore's guide to writing comics. I am still a bit confused as to how one writes a scene. I guess if anyone has a sample write up for a graphic novel or knows of some guides I could reference that would be fantastic! Thanks again for your time!

Mac McCool

Post by Mac McCool » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:06 am

Unlike in the film industry, we have no "standard" formatting practice for graphic novel manuscripts. Some companies have their own approaches (Marvel and D.C. in particular). Consult the DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics for an overview of those traditions. And now, as more and more movie and TV writers begin to write for comics, we see more and more manuscripts with screenplay-inspired formats (formatted with software such as Final Draft).

As an exercise to test your writing and formatting approaches, I often suggest new comics writers reverse-write a comics and then hand the result to someone who has never seen the final artwork. If you reader gets it, then you have a manuscript that communicates effectively and which an editor might review.

Ultimately, a wonderful website with tons of great info is Caleb Monroe's Creator Help page.

twenty3x

Post by twenty3x » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:44 am

Thanks for the links, I will spend some time pouring over that and see what I can learn. Thank you again!

Sskessa

Post by Sskessa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 am

Reverse writing...that's a neat idea. I think I'll try it.