Chris Ware

General Discussion
jdalton

Chris Ware

Post by jdalton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:36 pm

The Vancouver Art Gallery has a big show on comics this summer (and also animation and video games). It's a pretty awesome show and if you happen to be in this part of the world any time soon you should check it out. The best part for me is being able to see original pages from the likes of Seth, George Herriman, Shaun Tan, and Art Spiegleman. And I just have to say, Chris Ware is insane. I see his books and it looks like he relies heavily on the computer- his linework is so tight and designy and a lot of it looks like it's been cloned in Illustrator or Photoshop. But no! It turns out he draws all that by hand! His pages are huge compared to the print size and it's all pencil and ink. He even letters it all by hand. I've taken to calling him "Chris Ware, that bastard" because I already loved his books, but now I am completely jealous of his skillz too.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just wanted to share. :P
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Captain_Robot

Post by Captain_Robot » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 am

Chris Ware's work was definitely a highlight of that show for me. Other highlights included actual cells of Gertie the Dinosaur and Nick Park's planning drawings for Wallace and Gromit. I think overall I was a little disappointed though. I think there could have been more content, especially in the video games exhibit.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:31 pm

I just finished an book about Chris Ware and his work and it elevated my respect for him. The man is an amazing machine. Not only are his works meticulously designed and beautifully rendered - but he keeps a comic diary as well. One page of the book shows a diary entry, full of words and pictures that was drawn after working for 18 hours.

The man is dedicated.

On another note - The latest Acme Novelty Library is beautiful. He's created another depressed sadsack main character but her story was so enjoyable to read. Well, enjoyable in its ability to move me. If that makes sense
ImageImage

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:52 pm

I learned how to draw with the kinds of tools Chris uses to make all those effects, and when I look at the drawings I can see the artifacts they leave (however small.) I'd never even have thought of using illustrator or photoshop to make drawings like that until maybe a year ago, tops. I'm still very inexpereinced with digital art, and the idea of making anything that looks like that on the computer seems very daunting to me, whereas I can and have made art and lettering like that by hand.

neil

Post by neil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm

It was quite an eye-opener for me too when I first saw original pages from Jimmy Corrigan on display. They're so huge! Wasn't that story originally a weekly strip? My mind boggles at that.

However, much of Mr. Ware's work really is done in Photoshop (when it comes to the coloring) and it's not a superficial aspect. He's extremely versatile.

*boggle*