Tips about freelancing?

General Discussion
Nunumi

Tips about freelancing?

Post by Nunumi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:50 am

Hi all, been a long while since my last post here! Great to see Flight 5 is on the way!

I have a question to you fellow artists. I'm starting as a freelancer working from home. I've been working for 3 years in a studio, which was great, but I wanted to try something else, with new challenges.

I'd like to hear about your experience for those who already worked or are freelancing.

Cheers!

campy22

Post by campy22 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 am

I've been freelancing for quite some time now...all in all , about6 years. I had a two year period when I had a full time job( Leapfrog) because I had just moved to the Bay Area and didn't know anybody.

I love being a freelancer. I have my little studio, and I'm actually now sharing one with friends because after a while, working from home everyday was getting a little lonely, but I adore the freedom that comes with this situation.

One thing i'd say though, is that, as a freelancer, you have freedom, but you also need to have a lot more discipline than when you are working for some company. You can totally get up at whatever time you want, and work in your boxers and slippers, but you need to get your work done. For me, If I don't get up early, go for a run first, I don't get going at all. My freelancing schedule is actually more intense than my schedule as an employee.

And then,there are the ups and downs.. sometimes I'm LOADED with work ..insanely loaded, and sometimes, it's a lot slower. Thank god, I haven't had one period of NO work at all yet, but I know it can and probably will come!

another thing you need to be aware of ..TAXES! God.. make sure you save a good third to half of your income for taxes. I got SO hurt the first year!

And, lastly, market yourself as much as you can. use the web, send stuff out all the time. If you don't keep your portfolio in the mind of your potential clients, they might forget you quickly!
Once you get a good base of recurring clients, it'll be easier!

that's about it!
Have fun.
(^_^)

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:35 am

Thanks a lot Pascal!

That sure looks very exciting to work like that. I was planning my move since a while and I'm really glad with it. The only negative point is, just like you felt, being lonely at home. For now I'll be fine, but I guess I gotta find a couple of friends too to move with in a studio someday.

Taxes.... tuh tuh yeah I gotta remember that. >__<

Hey! You worked at Leapfrog right? I know someone who went there for some animation classes. Do you know Yvan, from Quebec City?

Hey thanks again for this story ^^ Cheers!!

Christine

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:11 am

I use to freelance quite a bit, but not so much since I've been in college. The most important things in freelance is self promotion, keeping contracts, meeting deadlines and networking. Taxes will bite you from behind, like Pascal mentioned. So, keep good records.

I think you might enjoy this site: http://freelanceswitch.com/

j.