Legal rights law in the US: The Orphan Works Act LAW 2008.

General Discussion
Blom

Legal rights law in the US: The Orphan Works Act LAW 2008.

Post by Blom » Wed May 14, 2008 2:03 am

See link:
http://drawn.ca/2008/05/13/oppose-the-o ... t-of-2008/

Here in Norway the copyright laws gives the copyright to the creator from the moment it is created, and can never been taken away. But this law sounds strange in a land that promote itself as a free democratic country. I think this sounds like stealing.

I have one question about this, how will this be for people from outside the US? The deal with agents is not something that is used in Norway.

It looks to me like the agents have got all the power for the artists work.
Tor Harald Blom

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu May 15, 2008 5:18 pm

This will affect non-Americans as soon as your work falls into American jurisdiction (such as when your work shows up on an American computer screen via the internet). I'm very concerned about it. Most of my web traffic is American.

I don't know what you mean about agents, though. Agents have nothing to do with copyright. Agents don't want your copyright because they don't print anything- they want a cut of the profits when you make copyright arrangements with publishers. Publishers need rights to copy your work so that they can make books or whatever. And even then you're usually only handing over limited rights, not the whole copyright.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image