Hamlet

General Discussion
neil

Hamlet

Post by neil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 pm

I posted about this on the Flight blog, but I thought it might merit a little note here too; please forgive all my cross-posting...

I created an adaptation of Hamlet which is now available--you can see some preview images and get information on where to find it here:

http://neilcomics.com/hamlet

There's also a bunch of information about how I made the book, if you're interested!

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Already ordered this based on the samples, it looks really impressive. I wasn't expecting something that looks so good coming out of sparknotes, nice to see what they are trying to do. Hope some of the others are as good as this looks.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:45 am

Hey thanks very much! Yes I should point out that there is also a Romeo & Juliet and a Macbeth book from the same publisher. I didn't have anything to do with them, although we had the same editor. And I haven't read 'em yet.

willmj

Post by willmj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:13 pm

So looking forward to reading this! It looks beautiful :D

rohwer

Post by rohwer » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:32 pm

looks great neil, keep up the good work.

-rohwer

neil

Post by neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:14 am

I'm glad you like the previews! There is one more preview image on Chris Butcher's blog, of his favorite character (with Chris' own little revision, hehe).

dart32

Post by dart32 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Looks cool! I've added it to my Amazon cart.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 am

My copy arrived today! It is lunch and I have to return to work so I was only able to read the first few pages (until the ghost's arrival) and scan over the book, but at first impression I expect this will end up on the shelf in my living room with Flight, Blankets, and some of my other favorite books. Great artwork and storytelling, (while I am use to traditional) strong modernization of the language, and an all around quality put together book.

If I had not seen this here with Neil's name on it I might have missed it, (not expecting something like this from Sparknotes), but I am now going to check out what else they have done.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Wow, I'm floored William, thank you for that high praise.

If you're thinking of checking out the other books, I think you might like Romeo & Juliet by Matt Wiegle; there's a nice sense of playfulness in his style that you won't find in any of the other comics adaptations of that play (which are really mediocre, from what I've seen). And he's an Ignatz Award nominee.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Actually just got Romeo and Juliet as well, after seeing his name and recognizing it. It look quite good as well, seems that Sparknotes has their act together (honestly I just am so use to books from educational companies not being entertaining).

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Hey Neil,

I gotta say, looking at your previews and reading the background you wrote about it, this looks really, really badass. I love the style you've used for it, and based on that little bit you wrote about the dumbshow, I'm super-excited to get hold of a copy and see exactly what you've done.

I hope it's really successful, and that you receive praise not only from the folks that are already into Shakespeare, but also from people who wouldn't be otherwise!