PANELS

General Discussion
Magnet

PANELS

Post by Magnet » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey guys... I am about to start pencilling my graphic novel but I don't know how I'm supposed to evenly draw panels on every page. I am thinking that I want to have an even row of four on each page a bit like Tintin or Asterix but I am aware how difficult it is to do this. Does anybody have any solutions or products I could buy that would help me with this?

I am drawing the book in A3 size but it will be published in about A4 size like Tintin or Asterix.

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm

Nothing difficult about it at all. Get yourself a ruler, and either an archival pigmented ink marker, or a ruling pen, which is a drafting tool that uses liquid ink. Make sure the ruler has a cork or foam bottom, so that it's raised off the paper- otherwise ink will get sucked under the edge of the ruler and cause awful smudges.

And don't use sharpies- their ink corrodes paper and separates into weird colors over time.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm

If you're having the same or similar panel layout on each page you can speed up getting your pages ready by marking right on the ruler (in something permanent) where to draw your lines from. Then you don't have to figure out exactly how many inches/cm the panels are meant to be with each new page.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

neil

Post by neil » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 pm

I use photoshop to speed up my workflow. But, to get a nice foundation for the considerations that go into this process, you can read this chapter by Matt Madden and Jessica Abel (courtesy of First Second Books):

http://www.firstsecondbooks.com/drawing ... ift77.html

good luck! 8)
Last edited by neil on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blom

Post by Blom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:33 am

Axtrix is: 2 lines pr A3 and 2 A3 pr page.
Tor Harald Blom

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:41 am

Thanks for all your help guys, I will look into everything you've said and try to work up a system for myself... Thank you :D