Learning Flash, - 'elp?

General Discussion
Muffin

Learning Flash, - 'elp?

Post by Muffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:44 am

I hope I'm allowed to make this thread. I've been trying Flash a few times earlier and finally on friday I bought it through work and I have Flash CS3 installed, yay!

But. I'm having some problems already. :P
Problem 1: When I draw the linework gets a box around it and is not merges with other lines. Also I cannot fill it with color unless I complete it end to start when I draw it. How to I remove the box? :P

Problem 2:
When I make tweens, and make two different ones in two layers, - then only one shows when I test the movie, and the other shows when I just "enter" it in flash window. It's kinda hard to explain. :P

Does anyone understand, AND are you able to help me?

I'm also superthankful for all the tips I can get! :D Animation is so much fun, I really want to learn this good.

Thanks!

dart32

Post by dart32 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:41 pm

Try setting your pencil tool to "ink" rather than straighten.

I'm not sure to the answer to your other question, if you're making 2 tweens, both in their own layer on the main timeline, you should see both when you test the movie. Unless you made one a guide layer, or if one of your tweens is a movie clip with it's own animation in it.

One of Flash's advantages is it's ability to use nested movie clips, it's a little difficult to explain though. I'd recommend picking up a book on Flash if you haven't already.

This one's pretty good on the basics:
http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Professiona ... 273&sr=8-1

Are you planning on doing any programming or using Flash more for animation?

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:44 pm

hey, dart - thanks for your help! I'll test it tomorrow. I'm planning on using it for animation and web-adds (for work), so no programming yet. Maybe in time. (:

I dont have any books about flash yet, but I should get one. I've also been watching quite some tutorial videos, so that's been helpful too.

About the movie clip and tween together not working I think that was my problem. Why doesnt a movie clip work with a tween in another layer? I was using movie clip on a little fish that I repeated, and then i had text in a seperate layer and wanted it faded in and out, but that playing the video on stage made the text layer fade and not the fishes move, and testing the movie made the fishes move and the text just plain. :P How to solve this mayor problem of mine?

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:39 am

Btw, where do I set the pencil settings?

dart32

Post by dart32 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:48 am

The pencil tool's line setting in is a little box at the bottom of the tool palette. Check out the manual, there should be a lot more on ways to tweak your pencil settings.

Flash uses nested timelines. The main timeline plays at whatever framerate you specify, say 30 fps. If you have say 5 frames in your main timeline, and then you have a movie clip on the 3rd frame and that movie clip has multiple frames in it, you'll never see them. The main timeline will just chug right past your movie clip, playing only whatever's on that movie clips first frame. You need to use actions to start and stop the main timeline so your nested movieclip can play, or just make everything in the main timeline.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks again. (: I just love it when I receive light about something. ;P (even with major help).

I've been bothering some friends of mine that know more about this and I'm slowly learning. I think I'll just by the classroom in a book.

dart32

Post by dart32 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:00 am

I saw this book on amazon and it looks pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Cheat-Flash-C ... 10&sr=1-20

B.E

Re: Learning Flash, - 'elp?

Post by B.E » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:39 am

Great book, I bought it myself.

KJones

Re:

Post by KJones » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 pm

dart32 wrote:I saw this book on amazon and it looks pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Cheat-Flash-C ... 10&sr=1-20
I read that book it's real good and there's a new version coming out 8)
http://www.amazon.com/How-Cheat-Adobe-F ... b_title_bk