instructional blog?

General Discussion
Frank Stockton

instructional blog?

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 am

hey guys,

I've been rattling around in my head lately the idea of doing an instructional blog about art.

I used to get my teaching rocks off when I was living in California, but since I've been in NY I've been way too busy to pursue that--however, I think I could pull off something where I write weekly articles about artmaking and such.

Problem is, I don't know where to start!

There are so many subjects I could talk about and explain that I know pretty well, but what would they be? would there be any sort of order?

Do any of you have any subjects you would like explained? If someone wanted to know something about a subject I don't know well I would try to get someone else to write something about it, or I'd do the research myself and wait until I felt like I had it.

Anyway just a thought. Let me know what could be useful to you.

Thanks!

Frank Stockton
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Thats tough, there is so much to learn and yet there are various subjects that have been done many times on the web and all differently.

But i think i would like to learn techniques on different mediums. For instance how do I go about using for instance, Acrylic paints or oils or watercolors for the kinds of works we do?

Bill Pressing touched on how he does all of his work tonally with acrylics first ...then goes over it again with water color. I think getting people to learn and experiment with new tools and mediums helps foster creativity in people.

I've seen too many (nothing wrong with this guy) Bobby Chui type youtube videos that show how a guy lays down his colors in photoshop yada yada but i have never seen any videos where mediums are explained.
Chad Townsend

almo

Post by almo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 pm

I wouldn't mind a lesson on how to make digital coloring not look like digital coloring. Does that make sense? I like all the textures and such you use in your art, and I know you use traditional mediums, but how to get that feeling using Photoshop without making it look "Photoshopped." I don't know if that topic has been covered too many times before, though...

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:34 pm

some stuff about composition would be really cool.
I keep a sketchblog here

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:35 pm

I think it's a great idea as you have loads of experience. Would you consider doing some articles on skills that apply to the professional industry? While I see lots of basic art tutorial, I rarely see things aimed at pros becoming better pros. After 15 years working as artist (hey, no age jokes, I had an early start) I still desire vast impovment and always will.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 am

How about teaching more of the fundamentals so people can develop their own techniques. For example, color theory basics. Maybe explain how the background color takes its own color away from the foreground and replaces it with its complimentary color. Stuff like that.

There's plenty of tutorial sites out there, but very few of them change the way you think about art.

Frank Stockton

hey

Post by Frank Stockton » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:52 pm

that's one thing I wanted to specifically address. Man this is gonna be a lot of work. Heh...

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:21 pm

I would love some good color theory tutorials.

Hey Frank just give it a shot...let us be your test subjects. No one has to see this stuff right away.
Chad Townsend

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:59 pm

I'd like to know your thoughts on composition and color theory as well, but I think the easiest way for you to do it would be to ask people to submit their work along with a succinct question (e.g. "what am I doing wrong with this color scheme?"), and then you could pick the most interesting submissions to answer and critique; kind of like Dear Abby for artists! You could also mix that up with posts dedicated to thought processes for your own work. Hopefully that would be fun and engaging and would not feel like a burden. And I'm sure that it would be incredibly popular.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:29 am

^^ Good idea. Personally, I'd like to know more about preparing colours for printing. How to get the colours on my screen to come out right on the other end, for example, or how to set up a two-tone page. I'd rather not have to learn those things by trial and error.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image