Windows Vista (w/update)

General Discussion
jshamblin

Windows Vista (w/update)

Post by jshamblin » Tue May 22, 2007 4:51 pm

I want to rant, but I'll keep those thoughts to myself. I just thought I'd warn anyone thinking of upgrading... don't! If you really need it, it's best to wait as long as you can until they work some of their issues out.

Vista is simply too buggy, it crashes all the time and it's not backwards compatible with any of your external hardware. Matter of fact, I had to buy a new scanner that worked perfectly fine because the manufacturer didn't want to update their driver for Windows Vista. I've also had to reinstall Vista three times this month and had to replace a brand new disc drive after it crashed the last time.

That's just a few of my problems and I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

Update 5-14-07

If you have a problem with a program not working correctly for Windows Vista, you might not have to wait for an updated driver or patch. You can change it's settings to a previous version of Windows that worked. To change this setting, do the following:

Right click on the application icon > Properties > Compatibility > Select your OS.
Last edited by jshamblin on Thu May 24, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nemu

Post by nemu » Tue May 22, 2007 6:17 pm

:-(

Sorry to read about your problems with Vista. As a technology coordinator (my "real" job) I've stayed away from early adoption of a lot of stuff. I run the Mac side of things at my job but my colleagues on the other end have their work cut out for them as it is. I can't imagine what Vista is like to troubleshoot.

I only use windows sometimes to use ComicWorks and to run my Mustek A3 USB scanner which has no mac drivers. I swear though... once we save enough money, i'm getting a Mac compatible A3 sized scanner and dumping this one.

Maybe you should revert back to XP until the dust settles and drivers come out for all the peripherals.
Smiles to Go! - http://www.nemu-nemu.com/

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Tue May 22, 2007 8:46 pm

i've had zero problems with vista. all my hardware has been recognized by the new machine, and i dig the new interface stuff. the only thing that bugged me was vista's built-in 'tablet friendly' features, which i disabled. i was really worried about my old programs not working, but i've had no problems at all. i wouldn't recommend upgrading for no reason, but the home premium version is pretty slick, so if you're getting a new computer, it's neat.

still, i might install ubuntu on here just for the option.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Wed May 23, 2007 12:01 am

nemu wrote:Maybe you should revert back to XP until the dust settles and drivers come out for all the peripherals.
It was actually already installed on my new computer. I had a choice between Windows XP and Vista and I opted for Vista. I've had it for about a month now and I'm actually fine with it. I pretty much know what tasks make it crash and I'm getting pretty good at saving my work regularly now.
deantrippe wrote:'ve had zero problems with vista. all my hardware has been recognized by the new machine, and i dig the new interface stuff. the only thing that bugged me was vista's built-in 'tablet friendly' features, which i disabled.
I'm happy for you. I've heard rumors of Vista Bliss, but I have yet to witness it myself. Vista hasn't been as kind to me. If I didn't need a PC for the animation program I'm enrolled in, I'd junk it and Vista for a Mac.

Doesn't the whole "Cancel or Allow" thing bother you?

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 am

jshamblin wrote:
deantrippe wrote:'ve had zero problems with vista. all my hardware has been recognized by the new machine, and i dig the new interface stuff. the only thing that bugged me was vista's built-in 'tablet friendly' features, which i disabled.
I'm happy for you. I've heard rumors of Vista Bliss, but I have yet to witness it myself. Vista hasn't been as kind to me. If I didn't need a PC for the animation program I'm enrolled in, I'd junk it and Vista for a Mac.

Doesn't the whole "Cancel or Allow" thing bother you?
I actually only had one instance of the cancel/allow thing mentioned in the Mac/PC commercials, on the first day I got the machine. Haven't been bothered by any of those since.

I haven't really talked to anyone about Vista yet, since it's still the first month and I'm trying to really see how it handles, but I'm digging the built in hover-thumbnails for items on the taskbar, the minimized-video on-top thumbnail mode for Windows Media Player, the glass effect with the settings tweaked a bit, the new network/sharing center, and the desktop sidebar.

I'm not really a Microsoft fan (or Mac for that matter), but the upgrades are pretty slick. I still think Ubuntu gives you more options, but I think it'll be a while before they get to real consumer-friendliness.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Wed May 23, 2007 8:59 am

I hate to be 'that guy' but I've been pretty steeped in the Windows world for quite some time (software engineer by trade) and I have to say Vista was actually the thing that made me switch to Mac. I was holding out hope that Vista would sway me back, but it didn't. My experience with it paints it as a trumped up XP with odd feature set tweaks.

I think virtualization/dual booting is actually paving the way for people to use mulitple OS's for different purposes. If you're tied to an absolute must have Windows program, you can use Bootcamp (dual boot) or Parallels (virtualization) for the Mac. Similar solutions exist to use Windows on Linux or vise versa.

Dean, is there anyway to run Photoshop easily in Ubuntu (Wine etc.), in your experience?

Tudor City

Re: Windows Vista

Post by Tudor City » Wed May 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up, j. I was thinking of upgrading on my regular computer, but I knew it was best to find out if it's worth buying through personal experiences rather than the hype in PC magazines. When I get my new laptop a month from now (hopefully) I'm just going to stick with good ol' Windows XP Professional.

jshamblin

Re: Windows Vista

Post by jshamblin » Wed May 23, 2007 5:40 pm

Tudor City wrote:Thanks for the heads up, j. I was thinking of upgrading on my regular computer, but I knew it was best to find out if it's worth buying through personal experiences rather than the hype in PC magazines. When I get my new laptop a month from now (hopefully) I'm just going to stick with good ol' Windows XP Professional.
I'm glad I could help. I'm sure eventually, Vista will be stable. Maybe sooner than we think, who knows, it's just not at this moment. If you're going to buy a new computer, it might be an investment to get Vista with it and just suffer through the constant patches and updates, but if you are thinking of buying the application on it's own, then save your pennies. In a year and a half Windows Vienna will be out.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Thu May 24, 2007 6:51 pm

Scott Hallett wrote:Dean, is there anyway to run Photoshop easily in Ubuntu (Wine etc.), in your experience?
You can get Photoshop 7 running with CrossOver in Ubuntu, which isn't so bad. I had to do that for a month while my old computer was in the shop a few months back.