Sketchbook, Copy Paper or Both?

General Discussion
briantaylor

Sketchbook, Copy Paper or Both?

Post by briantaylor » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:10 am

Just curious to see what most people here like to draw in/on :D

I used to be exclusively a copy paper guy because if you mess up you can just throw it away, and for some unknown reason I could always draw easier on copy paper. Maybe it's the surface or something, I dunno.

Recently though I'm turning into more of a sketch book guy because it's easier to take with you.

Anyone else?

-Brian

Steven

Post by Steven » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:19 pm

When I am at home, I draw on huge tablet paper. But for little fun drawings, I usually use a sketchbook. I have two almost full books, and it's kind of nice to have them all together like that.

Steven C.

Biev

Post by Biev » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:58 pm

At the moment I draw on sandpaper, but for little sketches usually I like to draw on black paper. It's just so much fun because the colors really pop. I always have some laying around.

pH

Post by pH » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:39 am

Alright, I discovered something totally awesome at my local comic book shop that you might wanna look in to...

Backboard cardstock for the comic book plastic sleeves--

You know those plastic covers they put rare comic books in? They also put in this sheet of bristol board to keep the comic from bending. At my comic book shop I found a whole package of these sheets for only 10 bucks. There's like 90 sheets in there-- so this is really cheap quality bristol board.

They are a little small, but there fun to practice inking on, because you can use as much as you want without worrying about wasting money. I've been thinking about doing a comic on them...

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue May 01, 2007 8:57 pm

I've done a ton of concepts on photocopy paper. It takes ink, marker and watercolor really really well. It just saves me money and I dont have to waste the good stuff. I have a friend who paints in acrylics and oils right over his blown up photocopies.

I also like to use bristol for more personal work.....It's your preference really, if you are comfortable with a tool then use it. no tool makes the artist.

I always carry a sketchbook with me...my wife say's it's attached.

I will tell you to just stay away from paper that acts like tissue paper. and dont be suckered in by buying the generic comic paper...unless its japanese. hahah too many rules all of a sudden.
Chad Townsend

nemu

Post by nemu » Thu May 03, 2007 1:05 pm

Kitsy has 3 million (okay maybe not that many) but a ton of sketchbooks. She has one for watercolor stuff, one for plotting out the comic strip, one for ideas, another for something else... too many to keep track of.

Most of the stuff for online is done on HP Super Bright White inkjet paper. We do the comic strip on Strathmore bristol but I swear it's not as good as it used to be... My inks tend to bleed a bit so we're looking into other brands but thats become a challenge since we're out in the middle of the pacific and the local distributor only carries strathmore.

If anyone has suggestions on good bristol for inking with nibs let me know. I think I special ordered some ProArt or AquaBee to try out... but I can't recall.

I have a sketchbook too but I seem to forget it at home or in my car. :?
Smiles to Go! - http://www.nemu-nemu.com/

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Fri May 04, 2007 7:45 am

Check your label carefully- there are three kind of strathmore bristol now (six if you count that each has a vellum or plate finish option)

300 series is complete garbage, like very thick and stiff poilet paper for inking on.

400 series is acceptable, and economical.

500 series is a world class bristol, which I actually switched to from a more expensive hot press watercolor paper. It's just a dream to work on, and not too pricey for bristol of it's class.

nemu

Post by nemu » Fri May 04, 2007 9:24 am

We only have 300 and 400 available here. I'd have to order the 500 and the distributor seems to only offer them in in 23" x 29" sheets.... Do they sell the 500 series in a pad where you are?

I remember when the 400 was pretty good back in the early 90's I guess they moved the 400 to 500 and made 400 cheaper maybe? Now they have wind power paper too. Paper made with wind power. I wonder how good that is?

Thanks for the advice!
Smiles to Go! - http://www.nemu-nemu.com/

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Fri May 04, 2007 11:50 am

I buy it in sheets and cut it down, which is significantly cheaper anyway.

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Sat May 05, 2007 4:28 pm

I keep a 9x12 Canson sketchbook with me at pretty much all times... Before a couple years ago, I'd just draw on whatever, and that eventually got thrown out.

Now, I have nearly 20 of the books on my shelf. I like them because when I go through them, I can remember everything that happened while I drew that picture, where I was, what class I was in, who I was with. And I only lose the pages I wanted to throw out.

edit:nemu, about that windpower paper - I had to get some because it was all that Sam Flax carried at one point - I think it's about the same as 300 series. I haven't useed 400, but I have used a lot of 300, and the windpower isn't any better IMO.

Og

Post by Og » Sat May 05, 2007 5:05 pm

I draw on 8.5 x 11 laser paper. I buy it by the ream.

*shrug*
ImageImage

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Sun May 06, 2007 8:26 pm

It all depends what you're inking with too. If you're using markers and/or office pens, copier paper's fine. If you're like me, and you abuse your paper with a barrage of agressively wielded steel nibs, paper-curling ink-laden brushes, and razor blades/heavy coats of corrective fluid, you need something a touch heavier. Copier paper won't handle the abuse I give to my sketchbooks, let alone my finished work, but it worked fine for years until I adopted my much more agressive techniques.

Tudor City

Post by Tudor City » Tue May 08, 2007 4:08 pm

I always use copy paper. They are always easiest to find when I'm on the road and the size (8x11) works well on nearly all scanners and saves a lot of time in terms of cropping the image.

CameronCN

Post by CameronCN » Fri May 11, 2007 1:00 pm

I do all of my comic art on the computer, without paper at all. This works especially well for me because when you erase you don't leave any of those little gray marks everywhere.:) But back when I used to paint (with acrylics) I used Bristol board. Strathmore 300 series, actually. I had no idea that it was anything but the best until reading this thread just now. :) Now that I think about it, I should have been suspicious about how willing that stuff was to tear apart once I got it really wet. And it curls up horribly too. I shudder to think what it would do with liquid ink.

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Fri May 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Pucker like a kiss, curl like a pig's tail.

But the most annoying bit is how the paper fibers come off and clog metal nibs, or cause the line to get unexpectedly messy and thick.