Kawaii-kon

General Discussion
nemu

Kawaii-kon

Post by nemu » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Hey all,

Dunno if anyone here is coming to Kawaii-kon all the way out here in Honolulu, Hawaii... but if you are, stop by our booth in the dealers room and say hello! Kyubikitsy and I would love to meet you!

I want to thank all of you here on the forum for your insight and inspiration. I don't post that often, but I enjoy reading / browsing the forums and the websites/galleries/comics of the members here. Coming here in between working on nemu stuff always gives me hope that we're doing something worthwhile.

We've been working hard to get our merchandise ready for the con this weekend so we had to take a month off from doing the comic. Here's a sneak peak of the stuff if anyone wants to see...

the book of course...

10 new pins!

handmade soft goods

one of our t-shirts

and last but not least... handmade, limited edition nemu and anpan plush pups!

There's more pics at nemu*nemu.com if anyone is interested in seeing more...
Smiles to Go! - http://www.nemu-nemu.com/

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:03 pm

This stuff is really cute... geez, I kinda want the hat.

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:33 am

Kawaii-kon sounds like the best thing ever. I hope they do it again next year. It'd be a great excuse to visit Hawaii!

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:21 am

Why on earth is Kawaii-kon in Honolulu? It makes sense to have a con on Oahu, since it's the most populated, and all the planes fly in there, but it's one hell of a swim from Oahu to Kawaii.

Let us know how it goes, though. I don't think they had a comic con in Hawaii when I was out there.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Wow, that stuff looks great! :D

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:30 pm

oh man I can't believe all the plush stuff is hand-made O_O the book looks awesome too~ someday I have to coordinate my family visit to honolulu with kawaii-con.

nemu

Post by nemu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 pm

Kawaii-kon is now over and it was a blast! Met some new friends and a few old friends flew in from the mainland to attend the kon as well. It was interesting selling to this crowd because it's an anime convention and hardly anyone in Hawaii had heard of nemu*nemu until the weeks preceding the convention when I did heavy press for it.

We appeared on KHON2 news (Hawaii's number 1 news channel) at 6am but had to get up at 4:30 just to get ready for it. We also had a lot of good interviews and articles locally so that helped as well. After the morning news it was straight over to the convention and Oh my Pizza... we tired!

What I thought was most interesting is that while our sales were pretty good on Friday and Saturday, we did outstandingly well on Sunday which most consider a slow day. I primarily attribute this to people doing last minute spending or maybe they had 2 days to read the nemu book and/or their friends told them about nemu and showed off hats, shirts, stickers, pins, pups etc.

We were very happy with the results and we hope to do it again next year.... we'd love to get more people reading the comic but we do realize we have a lot of work to do to prove ourselves still. I think the best part of it all was that Kitsy felt like all the hard work we put in was well spent and people really loved the comic and it's characters! Now we're full steam ahead and back to work...

@Joseph Park: we actually sold out of the hats but we'll be doing an online preorder shortly

@dave roman: Man I'd love for folks from this forum to come down and visit... I kinda wonder if we're the only Hawaii folk on flightforums!

@matt bernier: Kawaii-kon is not Kauai-kon :-)

@kazu: thanks!

@ganter: I was hoping your brother was going to come so Kitsy and I could say hello! Yeah all of the plushies were made by hand at Kitsy's mom's Nemu and Anpan factory. :D Please come to Kawaii-kon!

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Well that's cool, that it went well and all. Now I'm wondering what the extra "i" is all about.

nemu

Post by nemu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:19 pm

Kawaii is "cute" in Japanese :-)

But its funny because everyone in Hawaii calls it Kauai-con just like you thought. It's actually Kawai-i though.

Now if it were Kowai-con that would be Scary con since Kowai is scary in Japanese....

BTW I make no claims of knowing how to speak Japanese at all...

Matt Bernier

Post by Matt Bernier » Tue May 01, 2007 6:53 am

Ahhhhhhh, that clears that up. Thank you!

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue May 01, 2007 8:45 pm

wow...i'm impressed. Great characters too. Your dog plush is simply wonderful...I wish i could do that.
Chad Townsend

nemu

Post by nemu » Mon May 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that the online Nemu*Shop is finally open for business. It took longer that I expected but it's actually live!

If anyone is interested you can check out the merchandise here:
http://www.nemu-nemu.com/shop/